Saturday 12 July 2014

Book Review: The Fault in our Stars by John Green





Author: John Green


Title: The Fault in our Stars

Genre: Romantic, Young adult literature

Rating: 1 out of 5










So whilst on holiday I came across The Fault in our Stars in a little book shop in Burnham-on-sea and thought why not? I have seen the book online and in books in the top 20 and just wanted to see what the hype was about. The last time I followed the hype on books was for the Hunger Games’ books and they didn’t turn out that bad. However I have seen more negative reviews than bad reviews around for this.. I mean the book is in the top 20, it can’t be that bad right?

I don’t really know where to start with this book so I will start at the beginning. The book is about two 17 year olds that meet in this kind of cancer rehabilitation meetings, the girl, Hazel, having terminal cancer, and Augustus, the slick, smooth guy that is now cancer free, but half a leg less because of it. Even before I opened this book I knew that it was a tear jerker and apparently a beautiful love story but.. I really didn’t find is that good if I’m honest.. I mean I blubbed my eyes out, not going to spoil things for readers, but that was really it.. there wasn’t really a story to be told.
First of all I didn’t really find that the characters really stood out and were that interesting or unique to other characters I have read about.  Basically both Hazel and Augustus have exactly the same interests and there isn’t much after that.. there is no depth in it at all. Also this book is classed as a romantic novel, I didn’t find that at all, sure they fall into a cliché love at first sight, but that story after that really isn’t believable. How many people would just go home and watch a movie with someone they literally just met? Or even go abroad with them? Didn’t think so.

Also I found it really really hard to believe that the two main characters were 17. There are a lot of parts in the book where they start talking to each other and there is no way that the things they say could come out of a 17 year olds mouth. Things such as “I believe the universe wants to be noticed. I think the universe is improbably biased toward the consciousness, that it rewards intelligence in part because the universe enjoys its elegance being observed. And who am I, living in the middle of history, to tell the universe that it-or my observation of it-is temporary?” “I'm in love with you, and I'm not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things. I'm in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we're all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we'll ever have, and I am in love with you.”  Seriously.. who says things like that?! I had to really slow down and read some parts as I found them so out of the blue and truthfully quite senseless and really had to think about what was being said. I actually laughed out loud when Augustus surprisingly declared his undying love to Hazel, instead of saying “I love you” like any other 21st century 17 year old would, he went on a complete rant about nothingness and it left me laughing and cringing at the same time.

I’m sorry for going on, I really don’t like to write bad reviews for books because I believe that all books have they’re good and bad points, just I find that this book has more bad than good and it left me really disappointed.. I found that the book was sad though and it did play with my emotions but then again, characters die.. so that is always sad. The book had a real ‘Chick flick’ feel to it and I can say that they are the type of book/ movie I try and avoid at all costs but I just had to see what the reviews were about and I was left with multiple headaches trying to read passages and looking up words that really didn’t make sense at all.

So overall, for someone who likes kickass, adventure, blood and gore filled books like me to have to change to this book, it really isn’t one that I would like to read again and I will probably forget about it in the next week..  I mean it’s a really sweet story, but not believable. Again this is only my opinion, and I believe to review books, you win some and you loose some, you have to write about ones you like and ones you don’t and give a good explanation. I know a lot of people that likes The Fault in our Stars and I really don’t judge, I can see that it will be lovely for people who are into those kind of books.. but not for me thankyou! 




No comments:

Post a Comment